|M.D., D.M., D.P.H., Ph. D
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS:
- More than 200 presentations in international and American major conferences of The
World Health Organization, World Federation of Public Health associations,
European Schools of Public Health (ASPHER), African Council, Global Health
Council, International Health Summit, American Public Health Associations and other
major national and regional conferences and meetings.
- 65 publications in major refereed and non refereed journals, scientific journals
including the World Health Organization Chronicle, Forum and Scientific Papers, and
the Journal of the Pan American Health Organization.
- More than 150 articles and interviews in daily newspapers in the US, Europe the
Caribbean and the Middle East.
- More than 50 appearances on national television stations in USA, Europe and the
PUBLICATIONS (SELECTED LIST):
Single author unless otherwise indicated
* “Preserving Human Rights in Peace and Complex Emergencies: Strategies for The Balkans”,
accepted for publication, 2007, Journal of Public Health Policy
* “Getting the best use of immigrating Egyptian Scientists”, Al-Akhbar daily newspaper, 2007
* “Alternatives for Reforming Health Insurance in Egypt” , (and Madeeha Khattab), published by The
Arab Health Forum, Library of Alexandria, Egypt, public lecture Series, July, 22, 2006 ( in Arabic)
* “ Rationalizing Utilization and Building of Hospitals” Al –Ahram Economic Weekly , Feb. 25, 2005,
Egypt (in Arabic)
* “Reforming health and education” , Al-Ahram daily newspaper, June 11,2004, Egypt ( in Arabic)
* “ Care of the Elderly in Egypt :Practical approaches” ( in Arabic), AL-Ahram Economic Weekly, ,
December 9, 2002, Egypt
* “ Health Reform: Lessons for Egypt” ( in Arabic), published in the two daily newspapers, Al-Ahram
and Alakhbar, June 19 & 20, 2002, Egypt
• “Global Direction for Expanding Health Insurance: What is Suitable for the Arab Gulf States?” The
Saudi Medical Journal, September 2001.
• “The Rationale and Foundation for Quality Management in Health Care for the Arab Gulf States.”
Bahrain Medical Journal, April 2001.
• “Privatization and Sustainability of Family Planning Programs in Egypt: Lessons for Latin American
and Caribbean Countries.” Florida Journal of Public Health, 1999.
• "Reforming Health Care in the US and Europe: Why we fail and they succeed?" Florida Journal of
Public Health, Vol. VI, No. 1, 1995.
• "Health Care Reform in the Eastern European Countries: Learning by doing and learning from
others" Z. f. Gesundheitswiss.,1. Beiheft (German Journal of Public Health), 1994.
• "Quality of Health Care in Eastern and Central Europe: A New Approach Towards Total Quality
Management". Preventive and Clinical Medicine in Changing Europe, 1993, Tatranske Zruby, Slovakia,
Pub: Sympos, Slovak Republic, 1994.
• “Privatization and Public Financing - Health Care Reform in the Eastern and Central European
Countries", World Health Forum, World Health Organization, Geneva, Vol. 15, No 4, 1994.
• "Russian Health Care Reform: Are we assisting or confusing?" Florida Journal of Public Health,
Vol. V no. 1, Summer-Fall 1993.
• "Privatization of Health Systems with Care: A message to East Europe from Western Systems",
German Journal of Public Health, no. 2 vi, 1993.
• "Integrating Health Services in the Eastern Caribbean States", Bulletin of the Pan American
Health Organization, Vol. 27 no. 2. 1993.
• "Health Care: Painful remedies are needed", The Times, February 7,1993.
• "American Health Care Reform: Can we learn from Germany?" Florida Journal of Public Health,
Vol. IV No. 3, Winter 1992.
• "Integrating Health Services in the Eastern Caribbean States: A Model for Regional Action",
published in "Health for All: Strengthening the role of Public Health", World Federation of Public Health
Associations, Geneva, 1992.
• "Bush Health Plan", Front-page article, St. Petersburg Times, February 13, 1992.
• "Training Needs and Services for Elderly Care in Developing Countries: Models from Romania,
Barbados and Kuwait", International Journal of Aging and Human Development, Vol. 34 (2) 195-204,
• "National Health Insurance: Part I: Who Will Be Additionally Covered? And What is Left to be
Regulated?" Florida Journal of Public Health, Vol. III, No. 2, Summer-Fall 1991.
• "National Health Insurance: Part II: An American Style Proposal" Florida Journal of Public Health,
Vol. III, No. 3, Winter 1991.
• "Controlling Hospital Cost Through Utilization" (Banoob S. and Gerlach R.), Hospital Management
International, The Journal of the International Hospital Federation, London, 1991.
• "The Need for New and Short Lists of Classifications in Health Care: A Proposed Management
Classification for Primary Health Care Services, the 4-P Classification," Medical Informatics, Vol. 15, No.
• "Expenditures on Armaments and Health: Where is the Priority for Developing and Industrial
Countries," Florida Journal of Public Health, May 1990.
• "Planning and Development of Health Manpower: A Model for Oman," Saudi Medical Journal, Vol.
• "Getting the Best Value for Money in Health Care," Assessment of Need for a College of Medicine
and a Teaching Hospital in Lesotho," 10:2, World Health Forum, World Health Organization, Geneva,
• "Experts Say Comparison Show US Health Care System Falls Short," St. Petersburg Times, (cited
article reporting research findings), July 25, 1989.
• "National Medical Care Systems: Where is the United States Among Industrial Countries?" Florida
Journal of Public Health, Vol. 2:1, 1989.
• "Application of Selected Dental Public Health Programs in Developing Countries," (Gerlach R. and
Banoub S.) (abstract) Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 49(2): Spring, 1989.
• "Introducing Quality Assurance in Hospitals within the National Health Care System of Kuwait,"
Banoub S. and Gerlach R.) Quality Review Bulletin, Vol. 15:2, February, 1989.
• "Programs for Quality Assurance and Utilization Review: The Time for its Introduction in
Oman’s Hospitals," Oman Medical Journal, Vol. V:2, November, 1988.
• "No Health For All Without Peace For All," World Health Forum, WHO, Geneva, 7:1, 1986.
• "Assessing Manpower Needs in the Gulf States", Middle East Health, 9:1, 1985.
• "Unified Health Policies and Strategies for the Arab Countries in the Gulf," World Hospitals, XXI:2,
• "The Comprehensive Health Planning Process: Models of Planning in the Arab World," Part I, Arab
Institute of Planning, Kuwait, 1984. (In Arabic)
• "The Uses of Epidemiology in the Study of the Elderly", World Health Organization, Member of
Scientific Group Meeting on Epidemiology of Aging, WHO Tech. Report Series 796, Geneva, 1984.
• World Health Organization, Principal Scientist of a Research Center, and member of the editorial
board of the report on this international survey conducted in European countries, 1979-1983, "The
Elderly in Eleven Countries: A Socio-medical Survey," Public Health Paper 21, WHO/EURO,
• "Hospital Planning and Commissioning.", Methods of planning public projects and its evaluative
indicators, Arab Institute of Planning, Amman, Jordan, 1983. (In Arabic)
• "The Health Planning Process.", Proceedings on the Seminar on Health Planning. Secretariat
General of Health for the Arab Gulf Countries, Oman, 1983.
• Study on the unified basic information needed for comprehensive health planning, Secretariat
General of Health for the Arab Gulf Countries, Riyadh, 1982. (In Arabic and English)
• "Assessment of Primary Health Care Services in Qassim Region," Saudi Medical Journal,
Monograph: 1, 1982.
• “Converting National Policies and Commitments into an Implemented Plan of Actions," a
message from Calcutta, highlights of the WFPHA. III International Congress of Primary Health Care,
American Public Health Association, 1982.
• "Kuwait Plan for its Elderly Citizens," World Health Day, WHO/Geneva, 1982.
• "Aging in Kuwait: The Changing Role of the Family and Community in the Arab World," EMR
Newsletter, EMRO, WHO, No. 16, February, 1982.
• Kuwait plans for its elderly citizens, (cited) "World Health Day: Adding Years to Life," WHO
Chronicle, 36:2, 1982.
• "Frustration, Idealism and Realistic Solutions: Primary Medical Care and the Future of the Medical
Profession," (Stephen, Banoob, et al.), WHO World Health Forum, 2:3, 1981.
• "Cost Analysis and Performance Evaluation of Health Services," (co-author) Ministry of Public
Health, Kuwait, 1978. (In Arabic)
• "Fundamentals of First Aid," Textbook for High Schools, (co-author) Ministry of Education, Kuwait,
published annually, 1977-1985. (In Arabic)